Were the “Sons of God” angels who married human women?
There are a few different interpretations and beliefs about exactly who the 'sons of God' (or 'sons of heaven,' depending upon Bible translation) were.
1) The first theory is that these ‘sons of God’ were angels. This seems to be the most popular theory, mentioned first in three different books! “The ‘evil angel’ interpretation of Genesis 6 may give us a clue as to why some angels are presently bound in prison and others are not (2 Peter 2:4)” (Rhodes, 2008, p.23).
2) Both the Believer’s Bible Commentary and The Big Book of Bible Difficulties put forth the theory that the “sons of God” refer to the godly line of Seth intermingling with the godless line of Cain” (MacDonald, 1995, p.40).
3) This third explanation, to be blunt, I don’t understand at all. So I’m simply going to quote directly, and let you draw your own conclusions. “Other scholars believe that ‘sons of God’ refers to great men of old, men of renown. They point to the fact that the text refers to ‘giants’ and ‘mighty men’ (v. 4). This also avoids the problems of angels (spirits) cohabiting with humans” (Geisler & Howe, 1992, p.40).
Geisler, N. & Howe, T. (1992). Genesis 6:2. “The Big Book of Bible Difficulties.” Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Books.
MacDonald, W. (1995). Genesis 6. Believer's Bible Commentary. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers, Inc.
Rhodes, R. (2008). Genesis 6:2. “Commonly Misunderstood Bible Verses.” Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House Publishers.
Jennifer Becker Landsberger
Who am I? Freelance writer (magazines, websites, & copywriting), Catholic, military wife, and Mensan. Double Bachelor's in History & Psychology.
Witnessing by charity and love are above all. Studying the Bible and beyond helps me on this quest. Feel free to join my walk into the Bible.
If you wish to donate in order to help support the cost of running this website, it would be greatly appreciated!
If you found the information helpful, even a small donation would be wonderful!
Thank you & God bless you.
~~~Prayer before Writing-
Oh creator of the universe, who has set the stars in the heavens and causes the sun to rise and set, shed the light of your wisdom into the darkness of my mind. Fill my thoughts with a loving knowledge of you, that I may bring you like to others. Just as you can make even babies speak your truth, instruct my tongue and guide my pen to convey the wonderful glory of the Gospel. Make my intellect sharp, my memory clear, and my words eloquent, so that I may faithfully interpret the mysteries what you have revealed.
To my readers & fellow writers,
1. I will pray that God's grace helps illuminate all of our interactions- both those of simple reading and more active conversations.
2. I will communicate with you respectfully and civilly. These are (rightly) issues which we feel passionate about. But even in disagreements, I will respect you fellow "seekers of truth."
3. I will not fall into negative behavior or words, such as insinuations, exaggerations, blames, or personal attacks. I respectfully ask you to do the same.
4. I will pray we will all find the truth and strive to fulfill the two greatest commandments: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:30-31)
This site will occasionally feature paid posts! I always 100% verify everything I endorse. You will not see posts for products or sites I would not use myself.
All images on site were labeled for general re-use. If you find an image that is NOT supposed to be used, please contact me & I will remove it.
Sites I Recommend
Biblical Evidence for Catholicism by Dave Armstrong