~~~~~Lesson: Genesis, chapter 6
1) The entire reason given for the flood was man's wickedness on earth, and how no desire in man's heart was anything but evil. Often today, we look back and imagine that, of course, the people of before our day were unenlightened, that they worshiped idols, and of course, we don't do stuff like that.......or do we??
We forget that the people before us were just like us. They loved their families, they worked for their food, and they had the same emotions and reactions that we do. It was not ignorance that led them to sin, no more than it is ignorance that leads us to sin. Our often superior attitude allows us to conveniently forget that we have the same sins they did.
Question: Do we worship false idols? Are having nice clothes, a nice house, and more food than you need- really, in reality- what you value more than your relationship with God?
My favorite line out of the entire reading is: “This Noah did; he carried out all the commands that God gave him.” It is so easy in life to ignore the small, still voice in our hearts that gives us instruction. To ignore the side of our conscious that winces when we're rude to someone, hurt someone intentionally, or commit a multitude of other sins.
If you have a true relationship with God, you will spend a good deal of the time reviewing your everyday actions, and then admitting you could have done better. And then you will pray, asking God to help you. And then you will be better. Good works and true love spring out from us when God is with us. We cannot achieve perfection, but we can attempt to do what Noah did.
To carry out all the commands that God gives us.
Question: What have you done today that God prompted you to do??
~Reading: Genesis 6: 5-8, 14, 17-22
(5-8) When the Lord saw how great was man's wickedness on earth, and how no desire that his heart conceived was ever anything but evil, he regretted that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was grieved.
So the Lord said: "I will wipe out from the earth the men whom I have created, and not only the men, but also the beasts and the creeping things, and the birds of the air, for I am sorry that I made them." But Noah found favor with the Lord.
(14) “Make yourself an ark of gopherwood, put various compartments in it, and cover it inside and out with pitch"
(17-22) "I, on my part, am about to bring the flood [waters] on the earth, to destroy everywhere all creatures in which there is the breath of life; everything on earth shall perish. But with you I will establish my covenant; you and your sons, your wife and your sons' wives, shall go into the ark. Of all other living creatures you shall bring two into the ark, one male and one female, that you may keep them alive with you. Of all kinds of birds, of all kinds of beasts, and of all kinds of creeping things, two of each shall come into the ark with you, to stay alive. Moreover, you are to provide yourself with all the food that is to be eaten, and store it away, that it may serve as provision for your and for them."
This Noah did; he carried out all the commands that God gave him.
Jennifer Becker Landsberger
Who am I? Freelance writer (magazines, websites, & copywriting), Catholic, military wife, and Mensan. Double Bachelor's in History & Psychology.
Witnessing by charity and love are above all. Studying the Bible and beyond helps me on this quest. Feel free to join my walk into the Bible.
If you wish to donate in order to help support the cost of running this website, it would be greatly appreciated!
If you found the information helpful, even a small donation would be wonderful!
Thank you & God bless you.
~~~Prayer before Writing-
Oh creator of the universe, who has set the stars in the heavens and causes the sun to rise and set, shed the light of your wisdom into the darkness of my mind. Fill my thoughts with a loving knowledge of you, that I may bring you like to others. Just as you can make even babies speak your truth, instruct my tongue and guide my pen to convey the wonderful glory of the Gospel. Make my intellect sharp, my memory clear, and my words eloquent, so that I may faithfully interpret the mysteries what you have revealed.
To my readers & fellow writers,
1. I will pray that God's grace helps illuminate all of our interactions- both those of simple reading and more active conversations.
2. I will communicate with you respectfully and civilly. These are (rightly) issues which we feel passionate about. But even in disagreements, I will respect you fellow "seekers of truth."
3. I will not fall into negative behavior or words, such as insinuations, exaggerations, blames, or personal attacks. I respectfully ask you to do the same.
4. I will pray we will all find the truth and strive to fulfill the two greatest commandments: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:30-31)
This site will occasionally feature paid posts! I always 100% verify everything I endorse. You will not see posts for products or sites I would not use myself.
All images on site were labeled for general re-use. If you find an image that is NOT supposed to be used, please contact me & I will remove it.
Sites I Recommend
Biblical Evidence for Catholicism by Dave Armstrong